Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Just waiting for a ..... school teacher..?

About a couple of weeks ago our cat, Miller, decided to play the "I'm going to die soon" card. He suddenly dropped in weight, his eyes were all weepy, his hips could barely hold what little weight there was...he was knocking on deaths' door. Miller, he's not old, turning ten tomorrow. It just so happens that this year is the first time we've remembered his birthday (oops!). And, you know, always been fickle. It all began when Mum dreamed of having a little gray kitten  - like one on an advertisement on TV. So we looked and looked and looked. Nothing. Then one day, we went into our usual pet shop to get bird food on our way past, and as kids, my siblings and I would run for the glass casing cage to see what cute little bundles of fur were in this time. There they were, 3 adorable, silver, pedigree kittens. Absolutely gorgeous. They're called Burmillers. $600 later we walked out of that pet shop with Mums new kitten.
     I always used to think that $600 was a lot of money when you pay it out for one thing, now I know better that $600 isn't really all that much when you get paid it and you know it's all going to go on the likes of car bills and fuel.....Anyway we named him, ironically, Miller - and my gosh was he the biggest snob around. He freaked when he met his brother and sister and was so timid, that he'd hide behind anything and everything that he could find. We had to lock him in the bathroom for fear of him escaping. He looks almost exactly like the "Whiskers" kitten.
     Over the weeks he calmed himself down and settled in to our home. 10 years later, after supposedly contracting "feline aids" and eating tonnes of "yummy things" (in this case, wet food) he's still around and just won't shut up (he harps just like the burmese cat that his breed is derived from). He's met the most cats out of all that we've had living with us (about 12) and suddenly here he was, on his way out. Dad gave him some antibiotics to clear up his eyes and nose, and when we went to the supermarket we actually bought him tuna cat sachets to go with his other yummy things - as he wasn't eating anything else. Well now, about a week or so later, he's happy and healthy again, eaten us out of yummy things and he expects a little portion about 4 times a day - he is an old man you know, (as he keeps telling us)...Here we were, thinking we would have to have him put to sleep - huh!

As of yesterday Mum traded in her car. They've been thinking for a while of buying a new ute, so on Saturday they went up to Holden to have a look around and came back saying they were going to trade the SUV in on it. A good idea really, because we don't really need a seven seater sitting around doing nothing, when a ute would get used....We have only had mum's car for three years, but it's still awkward saying goodbye to a good vehicle and being unsure whether it's the right decision. You probably won't believe what happened....
     We drove it there yesterday to hand it over, and before we did, we quickly checked in the back to make sure there was nothing left in a nook or cranny. Upon my shutting the back door the window wiper turned on, even though the car was turned off and the keys out. It did one wipe, and shut itself away again, leaving us all astonished. What the?
     I laughed and said it was waving goodbye - I don't know why we give human qualities to our cars, we always have... Then Dad piped up that it was something my recently passed grandfather might be behind. I mean, how could it have otherwise happened? Just like that though, the waving goodbye, it made us all realise that it was definitely the right decision to trade it. And I wouldn't be surprised if Grandad was behind it, as he used to be a car salesman and liked to advise Mum and Dad on purchases all the time. Silly little things like that, they always seem to happen right at the right moment, just when they're needed. Also the trading and buying the new ute went as smoothly as it could possibly have gone. Mum and I like to think that "if it's meant to be, it'll happen" and it did.

Today I finally did my NCEA registration. I've been holding back on it, because I wasn't sure whether I should be doing Scholarship Biology. Ever since I came back from Palmerston North I've been second guessing whether I will manage it, and whether I should risk credits for UE just to attempt something I may or may not pass. Scholarship isn't exceptionally important but it would be great to have on my record of achievement, it would make it look like I'm overly keen on the subject -but what if I were to fail it, it would still go on my record. Mum and Dad seemed to think I'd be able to get it all done, but I disagreed. Anywho, last night I remembered about the two weeks of school holidays, and that I would struggle to meet with the Principles Nominee to confirm my coming to sit exams at their school.So this morning, I applied for exams and no scholarship. Paid the $76 worth of fees - ouch, and now I'm waiting for the principles nominee to ring me back so I can go in...but Dad's been on the phone for ages...*sighs*