Wednesday, 13 August 2014

The weather really sucks these days....

I'd just like to say that, unlike what I first thought, my last post has received so many views! About 60 in fact, which of course, probably doesn't seem like many, but in fact, it is. Last time I wrote I was sort of, grasping at straws if you will, on what to write? So I just came up with a jumbled mess (that's what I thought) and for a change I shared it to my Facebook. Then Mum shared it to her facebook and voila! Lots more views than I'd normally get and some good comments. I'm not saying that sharing to facebook is the answer to more followers, but it is getting myself out there - even if amongst friends. A successful post - if any!

What have I to say this time? Nothing too philosophical I promise ;)

Last Wednesday was youth group and we watched a good movie called "God's NOT Dead" and it was a good movie.What I liked about it was that it actually seemed real and I dunno, it was somewhat able to be related to. Not so much that I could actually relate to the characters struggles but more so that it wasn't just like any old movie that everybody wins the prize and everyone lives happily ever after. It was realistic, which is what I liked most about.
Youth is quite sad these days as we've lost a lot of members who aren't too dedicated. It's not that they don't come on the bible study nights, because they don't even come to the fun things any more. Really, there's just about 10-15 of us max who go every week while others just come and go as and when they please. I say it's sad because the leaders are putting so much work into youth, and when they've got something good to say, it must be frustrating when those that need to hear it, aren't even there. I know a lot of them have work on which holds them back, but it sometimes seems that when one person out of a friend group doesn't go, none of them do. But I guess that's just this generation teenagers. Generation Z. Not quite as bad as Generation Y who are as lazy as they come (no offense intended). Gen Z seems and cold. I guess that's probably our flaw.

I'm onto Week 7 of calf rearing, I think I've been there every single day, morning and night for the entire time - give or take a morning or night feed where somebody else has done it. Like Saturday afternoon when Mum went for me - but I'll come back to that.
It's going well still, the calving is slowing down and I think that the recorded calvings are coming to a close and suddenly a whole heap of natural matings (where you let a few bulls into the herd to do the rounds) are upon me. On Monday arvo, I arrived to find 6 new borns in the shed, when usually I'd get one or two. It's exciting to get a bunch like that. Sort of like an adrenaline rush, because; honestly, I don't actually KNOW why! It's just is. Anywho, they're going really good (touch wood) and that makes me happy :) I'll be heading down there soon to carry on. I'm not quite sure how much longer I'll be there for to be honest. In a couple of weeks there will probably be another couple pens on once a day feeding, leaving perhaps two pens for the afternoon feed. Which probably means they'll take over in the afternoons....I'm not too sure. And, don't quote me, I think their son may come back from uni soon for mid sem break, so he may take over...I'm not sure....I'll probably be there another 4 weeks at least. But hey, it's work, and if I didn't have it I'm not sure what I'd be doing! Probably going stir crazy at home with no work!!!

It is a little concerning when things happen like the milk payout drops...because sooner or later the farmers might start actually considering whether they really need us to cover. I know they'll definitely need all the spraying done, but they may be a little less easy going with holidays and relief milkings...but as we were reminded yesterday - it'll be this time next year that'll be the problem with the checkbooks closing. But hey, what can we do other than round up more work? It's good to stay positive for as long as possible!!

There was a biology exam prep tutorial on this morning for plant and animal responses. All of us were there bang on time, but there were issues from the teachers end - it must've been so jolly annoying, but us students just took it as it came and laughed. Took the advantage to chat a bit more while we waited.There were things like the teacher couldn't even log on, then we couldn't hear or see him when he did get on, then he couldn't share any documents to the screen. Then it was good, but as soon as he pressed record - everything went crazy lol. I think it was 10:15 by the time most of the problems were sorted and it carried on for two hours after that! *yawns* However this teacher is very....passionate about his subject. He seems to get onto a good stride of explaining - and then suddenly he remembers something and loses it all when he tries to explain everything all at once. Which is quite funny to watch!
     We've got two more tutorials for each exam paper, and then I think one tutorial on exam techniques which they do every year but they're still good to watch. And then the practice exams will be upon us. This year I want to try to do one or two, maybe not to send in, but rather to just practice at home and send them to my teacher to ask if I'm on the right track. I dunno, I'll see how I go. I've still got 7 bio booklets to go. 8 chem and three stats internals to sort. It's really important that I pass these exams, because it'll be pretty darn mortifying if I don't.

Meanwhile, applications for accommodation are open for Massey and pre-applications are open for enrolling. There's so much to do!! :O

To the fun stuff though - on Saturday we had a fun afternoon/night at youth down at the railway station. Yet again, only 10 of us came. However, it was still a good time. We began with a game of crab soccer - don't know what it is? Okay...imagine ten people navigating around the floor on hands and feet (face up of course) kicking (or attempting to) a ball around. Hmm...yep. I've got a nasty blister on one hand from the carpet!
     Next, because we were in teams of five, we split up and had to transfer peas from one bowl to our team cup...with a straw...and if you dropped it you had to eat it. Ugh, the floor, who knows what's been on it?!?! I only dropped one pea. It was a race to fill up the most peas.
Game 3: apple bobbing! (NO!!) then using our (wet) face to pull a a piece of banana out of flour. Resulting in faces covered in clay o.O
Game 4: The guys in the teams held a balloon covered in shaving creme and the girls had to shave it all off without popping the balloon.
Game 5: two people from each team had to drink two cans of coke....through somebody elses' sock. I've actually got a video of this! Yuck.

Over all, the losing team had to have what was apparently the worst challenge - a frozen t-shirt put on you by the other team. Our team lost, but because they were teams of five and there were only 4 t-shirts....well. That and the boys could easily take off their shirts, and the other girl had spare clothing. Lucky me!! :D

After that, we played a few rounds of Mafia, then had some fish'n'chips for dinner, then we watched Need 4 Speed. The rule was that nobody could leave until 11pm, but seeing as I had to drive and I like to stick to the 10pm rule (and I had to be up early to milk at 6am) I was let off and got to go at then end of the first movie. Not sure what they watched after that though....

1 comment:

  1. Just be yourself, post what you think that's all I do, I love photography in my spare time so that's what I post about - things I see every day. Stick to the simple stuff - people like that :-)